Search This Blog

Sunday 23 January 2022

Catastrophization

Catastrophizing is when someone assumes that the worst will happen. Often, it involves believing that you're in a worse situation than you really are or exaggerating the difficulties you face.

I am at that stage where I am trying to work out what might go wrong and how I would deal with it. This is causing me sleepless nights and unstructured worrying thoughts.

An example of this is the rigging. What is a stay breaks, or worse the mast comes down. It can happen and several boats in the GGR suffered this fate but they pitchpoled in the southern ocean. So risk assessment time. 

1. stay failure: possible but not too serious if caught early. Controls, reduce load on rig and reduce risk by heaving too in storm force winds, check rig regularly and run with inner fore stay rigged. Recovery, repair with onboard parts.

2. mast failure: this is unlikely and if it did happen it wouldn't be fatal unless part of the rig punctured the cabin and hit me or trapped me in the cabin. Controls, as above. Recovery, rig spinnaker pole with storm jib and make for port of refuge.


Whether it will help me sleep better or not I don't know but I intend to formalise this process by working through a range of scenarios.




No comments:

Post a Comment